With the amount of water in your swimming pool, finding leaks can be extremely difficult. Fixing the leak can be extremely challenging for you so letting the professional do it is the best option. But before doing so, you need to be sure that there is really a leak. One of the tried and tested ways for finding leaks in a swimming pool is the bucket test.
If your pool needs constant refilling then there could be a hidden leak. In using the Bucket Test, there are few things that you need to bear in mind:
- It must be performed within 24 hours to be accurate
- Swimming in the pool or using the spa will make the test null and void
- Conduct the test before activating your system in the morning
- Switch off auto fill when conducting the bucket test
- Make sure there are no leaks in the equipment as it will completely void the test
To get started with the bucket test, do the following:
- Fill your pool to the normal level
- Mark the water level in the pool inside the skimmer or on the waterline tile. Use a #2 pencil or a permanent marker.
- Place a bucket of water on the first or second step of the pool or spa while leaving a few inches exposed to catch any rain water
- When the water in the bucket is completely still, mark the water level in the bucket in a similar way you did in the pool
- Run the pool pump to run its normal cycle
- After 24 hours, compare the water level in the pool with that of the bucket
If the water level in the pool has lost more than the water in the bucket, this means that there is a leak. This is the time to call a professional to fix the leak.